Club VST
Club VST
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Recording Software
 All Other VST Plug-Ins
 ColorTone pro?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

babiuk
Starting Member

Spain
15 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  06:49:52  Show Profile Send babiuk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iīd like to know what do you think about ColorTone Pro, a plugin from Tritone. It works by impulse response. I tried time ago but I didnīt like it (they say that they have sampled V72īs pres and thatīs why I tried), but recently I heard of it in good terms so maybe itīs better now.
Anyway I donīt think that it is at the level of nebula, indeed itīs far away (at least from my personal experience on tests I did). It has strange knobs with no relation with real gear, like the warmth and color knobs...

So, what do you say about?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

clubvst
Forum Admin

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  08:08:17  Show Profile  Visit clubvst's Homepage Send clubvst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
this is just my personal input on ColorTone Pro. I think Tritone Digital are a cool company and I think Colortone was a nice idea ahead of its time. As far as absolute accuracy to equipment listed, it is definitely not about accuracy. The idea of being able to 'grow' the original characteristics makes for a cool product, but again can yield good to questionable results that are not really referencing the original gear. In an example of increasing the frequency characteristics and/or distortion character of a piece of gear, you get a strange departure from how the actual gear would respond, and the results can be an unusual departure from what sounds correct or natural in the analog world. Also, it is more of a static impulse product, where it snaps one good picture of the attributes instead of more advanced processes which take many pictures to play back more of a movie of the sonic events.

I think Hydrotone is an excellent, extremely usable product that is well worth the price. It's hard to compare value and quality to Neb when it comes to eq, but that and Valvetone are great sounding mix eq's based somewhat around impulses of the originals.

The sampling process for their plug-ins are static and short to keep cpu low, which means there are comrpomises involved, but just like most impulse related products, the compromises don't have to mean bad sounding or sub-standard eq: just regard the accuracy to what is being sampled. If I were spending hundreds and hundreds on multiple vst platforms, I would consider hydro and valve good additions to something like Neb for track count, although some Waves and URS etc. are lighter on cpu for secondary eq tasks.

I took a listen to Angeltone and the Pulltone and was not as impressed by these as the Hydro and Valve.

Back to Colortone- Tritone doesn't claim it to be an accurate representation of the gear sampled, but I believe they did open some doors to the process of users being able to contribute to the process and I think that is excellent. I'm hopeful that they continue to make new software and get around to the compressor release(s) they've talked about for a while. I have a feeling that will be a nice sounding product.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Software, Mastering, Tutorials
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Club VST © 2008-2016 CDSoundMaster.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2